Batman: Arkham Origins: Blackgate, the handheld companion game to Batman: Arkham Origins will soon make the jump to the Xbox 360. Subtitled Deluxe Edition, the new Metroid-esque, 2.5D brawler will retain the gameplay of it’s less deluxe parent, but will improve on visuals and adds Dolby 5.1 surround sound. Console players can also unlock a Zero Year Batman suit by signing into (or registering for) their Warner Bros ID account. The Armature studio title feature motion comic-styled cutscenes and a fully voiced narrative. The game arrives April 1, 2014 and will retail for USD 19.99. No word yet on whether any cross-unlocks will occur between the original Origins and Blackgate. Hit the jump for a trailer, additional screenshots, and the press release.
Breaking News Archive
The one sure thing about the Xbox One at this point is that any news about the system is fluid right up till launch day. Following several key policy reversals by Microsoft, they’ve switched things up with Kinect now. When the system was first announced in May, Kinect was supposed to be always on and plugged in at all times in order for the system to function. That officially changed when Microsoft announced that Kinect doesn’t even need to be plugged in at all. Mark Whitten, chief architect behind the Xbox One, confirmed it on IGN.
“You have the ability to completely turn the sensor off in your settings,” Whitten said. “When in this mode, the sensor is not collecting any information. Any functionality that relies on voice, video, gesture or more won’t work. We still support using it for IR blasting in this mode. You can turn the sensor back on at any time through settings, and if you enter into a required Kinect experience (like Kinect Sports Rivals for instance), you’ll get a message asking if you want to turn the sensor back on in order to continue.” Kinect will still be a mandatory and sold with every system, but there’s no reason to believe that couldn’t change at some point as well.
Microsoft announced today that a headset will now be included with the Xbox One. Due to the bundling of the Kinect sensor, Microsoft had previously stated that a headset was not going to be included with the console. However, in an unboxing video released this morning, Major Nelson casually revealed that a headset will be bundled with the Xbox One. In addition, Nelson addressed that the headset will be included in the day one and the standard releases of the next generation Microsoft console. The headset touts inline audio controls and improved audio quality for in-game chat. It will also include a 4k HDMI cable and a controller with the package.
After receiving a large amount of feedback from fans and potential buyers, Microsoft including the $24.99 headset will ease some concerns. However, whether this will make or break the consumer’s decision to buy is yet to be determined. Will the inclusion of a headset influence your decision to buy the Xbox One?
The Pinball Arcade on XBLA has received the yo-yo treatment as of late after it was delisted from the Xbox LIVE Marketplace last week. While the game probably won’t be coming back any time soon, there is a little bit of news at least. Developer Farsight studios could not release new DLC tables after their publishers went bankrupt last year, but the studio told longtime XBLAfans tipster @lifeflower via twitter that they plan on returning to Xbox.
“Unfortunately the licenses are still tied up with the publisher. There was some good new about a month ago, Crave has filed a ‘reorganization plan’ to the courts so hopefully we will be back and running soon,” Farsight studios said in the email. A return isn’t for certain; that will depend on what happens with the publisher. No return date for Pinball Arcade has been announced yet.
Microsoft has secured a branded domain names for it’s new system. According to Fusible, XboxOne.com and XboxOne.net net have both been granted to the company after filing a complaint with the National Arbitration Foundation shortly after announcing its new console. Both domains were registered to a resident in the UK before the NAF granted them to Microsoft.
This makes Xbox One the first system to secure a branded domain name related to its next generation system. Nintendo failed to secure the rights to WiiU.com domain after filing a complaint last February and Sony does not own either PS4.com nor Playstation4.com
Undead Labs’ zombie apocalypse survival simulator has run into a bad patch today, literally. State of Decay debuted earlier this month to record-breaking sales and critical acclaim, which we echoed in our official review. However, like most games of this scope and size, known issues and newly discovered bugs have crept up in the release version of the title. Undead Labs was quick to identify, describe and set about addressing these concerns while maintaining transparency with their players about the process at large and the in-coming patch.
Unfortunately, through some sort of publishing error, the update engineered to remedy these issues is not applying the fixes correctly. Title Update 1 released to the majority of players this past Friday evening, and soon after reports began to trickle in stating some elements were not addressed. As Undead Labs’ founder Jeff Strain explained on the studio’s forums, “Reports started coming in that other bugs we had verified internally as fixed were apparently not fixed on the live version of the game.”
Strain continues in a message to State of Decay‘s growing fan base, offering up more of the process transparency the development team has worked to foster with their community.
“First, I want to apologize. This is not acceptable, and you deserve better than this.
Second, we are on the phone with our publisher right now getting everyone mobilized. There is nothing we can do at UL to fix this problem. Once the update has been handed off, the process of getting it to you and active is something only the Xbox people can handle. So, we’re calling in the troops to come in and get going on solving this problem immediately.
Third, although we can’t directly fix the problem, you are OUR players, and we’d like you to know we’re exploring ways to express our appreciation for your patience.
In the meantime, see “first.”
Though Undead Labs don’t, and can’t, have an ETA for a resolution at this time, they’re prepared to roll the TU1 fixes into TU2 as a worst case scenario.
In an effort to continue growing the popular game Skullgirls, the developers have set yet another stretch goal. Lab Zero Game’s CEO Peter Bartholow confirmed to XBLAFans via e-mail that they have added a fourth character to their donation stretch goals. Originally, the developer added a mystery character as incentive, which was revealed to be Robo-Fortune. The threshold for Robo-Fortune is $725,000, and at the time of this article being published. Robo-Fortune is a character inspired by Robo-Ky, and will recycle the frames of Ms. Fortune. “With that money, we should be able to redraw her head and give her some new moves and animations too,” Bartholow stated.
With donations currently at $718,483 with 12 hours left to go to donate, the DLC is expected to reach that goal. Lab Zero Games has also added a fourth mystery character as incentive. If they manage to reach $825,000, the mysterious character will be created, and at $850,000, they will create a story mode and stage surrounding the mysterious character.
The original NES Ducktales game was one of the gems of the era, an incredible platformer designed by the creator of Megaman, Keiji Inafune. It contained one of the most memorable chiptune soundtracks of all time in addition to sporting some of the tightest platforming on the platform.
At PAX East today, Capcom and WayForward announced Ducktales Remastered, a remake of the original NES classic. The reveal trailer looks amazing, featuring Disney hand-drawn animation that remains faithful to the original animations of the video game. Though the trailer doesn’t feature any voiced characters, the Capcom-Unity newspost about the announcement of the game reveals that the team behind the game managed to get the entire original cast back to record the game, 30 years after the release of the original. If that weren’t fantastic enough, WayForward has an extremely strong pedigree with regard to rereleases of older titles — composer Jake Kaufman’s work on both Double Dragon Neon and Contra 4 (for the Nintendo DS) was absolutely outstanding, and his arrangement and homage to Ducktales will very likely be just as impressive. The game is set to launch this summer.
We hope to have more details in the coming days — for now, watch the trailer on YouTube and sing along!
The original Dungeon Defenders was an extremely popular XBLA title, and many players have been looking forward to the inevitable sequel for some time. The sequel is looking very promising — it features an all new competitive mode in addition to the original’s co-op gameplay and will be free to play! Unfortunately, it won’t be coming to either XBLA or PS3, though next-gen console plans are not out of the question. The official website for the game currently lists only “PC, Mac, iOS, Android and Web” for its platforms.
In an interview by IGN with the developers of the game, marketing director Philip Asher reveals the reason why the current generation of consoles is being excluded: “The bit of sad news in all of the talk about platforms is that Dungeon Defenders II won’t be releasing on PSN or Xbox Live. “When starting to develop Dungeon Defenders II, we wanted to focus on platforms that would allow consistent updates and cross-platform play. Because of this, we decided to not release Dungeon Defenders II on current-generation consoles,” said Asher. The good news for console players in all of this is that there’s still hope, as Asher added the following caveat, “However, if the next generation consoles fit this bill, we would consider releasing Dungeon Defenders II there as well.”
Hopefully the next generation of consoles accommodates cross-platform play, because if Dungeon Defenders II follows in the footsteps of the original, Microsoft and Sony will both be missing out on a great game. Look forward to continued coverage on the game from our sister site SteamGameFans for now…
In an interview with Eurogamer, Telltale Games’ CEO and co-founder Dan Connors touched on the next season of his studio’s critically acclaimed adaptation of The Walking Dead. “We’re aiming for fall next year,” Connors stated, conjuring an internet-typhoon of collective sighs from the series’ rabid following. For a moment, the future of getting to the bottom of those nagging loose ends seemed appropriately bleak.
Just as the thought of a nearly two-year drought without The Walking Dead began to settle in, Game Informer reported that the hiatus wouldn’t be as extended as we were previously led to believe. Reaching out to Telltale for confirmation on the proposed release window of 2014, the magazine received the following statement:
The current estimated release window for Season Two of The Walking Dead is for fall of ‘this’ year (2013), and not ‘next’ year (2014) as has been reported after a recent interview. We apologize for any confusion and thank you and all of our fans for your continued excitement for Telltale’s series.
There’s still no word regarding the recent report that more The Walking Dead content will surface during the wait for a second season. In an interview with IGN, writer Gary Whitta teased the possibility of additional content knowing that, “People are hungry for more Walking Dead… there may very well be more Walking Dead from Telltale before season two. We may have a little something extra for you between season one and two.”
How that “little something extra” might impact the second season of the episodic adventure no one knows, except perhaps Telltale, but they’re not talking just yet. Whatever the case, rest assured the dead will walk again — before year’s end.